The Magic Library Forum Index
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Dragsamou Raising the Dead? View next topic
View previous topic
inca911

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Why not let old posts just die a quiet death, rather than upping them with "UPDATE OR DELETE"?

When I want to look for something, I use the search function and it'll being up any old posts that are applicable. Posting "UPDATE OR DELETE" usually just buries active topics beneath several layers.

Thanks!
dragsamou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

inca911 wrote:
Why not let old posts just die a quiet death, rather than upping them with "UPDATE OR DELETE"?

When I want to look for something, I use the search function and it'll being up any old posts that are applicable. Posting "UPDATE OR DELETE" usually just buries active topics beneath several layers.

Thanks!

Hi Forrest.
Because Ralph decided that Posts 3 Monthes Old should be either Scheduled for deletion or put in the Archives.It's not fun for me,to put that Update or Delete Thanks sentence,I should have not to do it,if Members will be taken care of their posts properly.But,you are correct,I'm fed up with that,so 3 monthes Old Topic from Trading that won't be Updated or mentioned Update at the First Post will be
put Automatically in the "Scheduled for deletion"....No more Update or Delete.

http://magiclibrary.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2478
http://www2.photoservice.com/www/index.cfm?cfid=1266351&cftoken=98273318&r=75272
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.
Ralph Herold
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Personally, I liked the idea dragsamou had to warn people before their threads were deleted. I have no problem, though, if the threads are immediately moved to Scheduled for Deletion. Let us see what others say to this.
mintcollector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am with Forrest. If it was deemed not worthy to archive and keep by either Ralph or any moderator, then just axe it. That is a moderator's job afterall.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I propose that posts with no new replies after X months be deleted without warning. It is likely that this deletion could be automated to save the mods some work. I would suggest that X would vary by category, with longer times for posts in categories important to the site. For example:

Website = long time for X (posts which result in site updates can be deleted once the updates are complete, else the question gets answered and the post closed)

Information = long time for X (we're all about information)

Trading (by subsection)
--Standard Magic Products = 2M
--Promotional, Misprinted, and Unofficial = 6M (key item for the site)
--Item Value and Availability = 2M
--eBay Reports = 2M
--Trading General = 2M

Off-topic = 2M

Is the reason for these deletions the size limits on the message board? I like posts with information and discussions about rarities to hang around for a long, long time. I somtimes have to recall posts I made to check on old information my brain doesn't want to recall. I think the mods know which posts are juicy enough to archive vs. those which can simply go away.
TerraFrost

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

inca911 wrote:
Is the reason for these deletions the size limits on the message board? I like posts with information and discussions about rarities to hang around for a long, long time. I somtimes have to recall posts I made to check on old information my brain doesn't want to recall. I think the mods know which posts are juicy enough to archive vs. those which can simply go away.

I think it's done, here, simply to make it easier to find stuff through browsing the forums.

It's not something I do on my own forums, but I can understand why one would do it if they decided to.
Archivist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

inca911 wrote:

I like to think of it as "forum necromancy".

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic